Sunday 20 January 2013

Whole 30 day 16

Happy Saturday! I had a great day. I started by sleeping until about 8:45, which is rare for me on a weekend day, but I felt well-rested and ready to get up.

breakfast
Since I still had some of that unfrozen pumpkin in the fridge, I made the pumpkin pancakes I made earlier this week, and topped them with a little applesauce. Even though there were eggs in the pancakes, I also had a hard-boiled egg that needed eating.

After breakfast, JM and I went into town to catch the last of the market and to hit up the supermarkets. I got some local eggs, a few bags of apples and we stocked up on things like coconut milk, veggies for the week and we bought some different meat options from the local butcher. I don't know the exact details of the meat's origins, but I do know it's local and good quality. That's about as close to "grass-fed organic" as I can find for the moment where I live.

lunch
When we got home, we heated up some of the frozen squash soup that we had made a couple of weeks ago (I love having things stocked in the freezer!) and JM made a salad with frisée and artisanal lardons. I'm not quite sure if the lardons fit the Whole30 guidelines, but I had it anyway. I indulged in some coffee, along with the coconut cream I whipped up into a whip topping with a little vanilla. Man that stuff is good!

After lunch I got cooooooookkkinnnggg. Oh boy, I was so excited. Here's the list of things I made:
- ghee
- bone broth (I asked the butcher for some bones and he gladly gave me some)
- mashed garlic cauliflower (I just boil cauliflower and garlic together and then drain it and mash it with some ghee and coconut milk)
- roasted vegetables (I used sweet potato, purple carrots and turnips, along with garlic)
- moroccan meatballs in a tomato sauce (yum!)
- a berry compote, using mixed berries and agar agar (and vanilla)
- a coconut lemon spinach ice cream that I made up. I'll fill you in on the details down below.

supper
Well, we dug into what I had made in the afternoon. Mashed garlic cauliflower, roasted veggies and moroccan meatballs. Oh yeah, and that ice cream.

The ice cream idea came a day before when I saw a post from Just Eat Real Food on Facebook for this mint chocolate chip ice cream recipe.
Doesn't that look tempting? Well, since it has chocolate (albeit homemade) and honey, it's not exactly Whole30 compliant. But I liked the idea of whirring up spinach to add a green colour to the ice cream! I had no peppermint extract, so I decided to take some coconut milk, add some lemon rind and a tiny bit of lemon juice and lemon extract and blend it up with some spinach. No sugar! The only mild sweetness came from the coconut milk. I poured it all into a metal cake tin and put it in the freezer and stirred it a couple of times over the course of 2 hours and then it was done. It was a refreshing treat, but since there's snow outside, it occurred to me that perhaps ice cream isn't what I'm craving most or wanting after a meal. I'm happier with warm or room temperature things. I also bought a hot water bottle yesterday, so I filled it up with hot water and warmed my self up after dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment