Sunday 27 January 2013

Whole 30 day 24

Sunday. Day of cooking. Also day of rest. And laundry.

breakfast
JM and I had the other half of the mushroom, spinach, red pepper, ground chicken frittata from last night. I also had 1/2 a banana with a lick of almond butter. And tea. Later in the morning I had a mandarin orange.

I had a bit of a lazy morning. JM is coming down with something and so we just relaxed in front of the fire and watched a couple of short documentaries. I was trying to gather up the courage to get cooking! But first I wanted to get the few "to do" items off my list: ironing, paperwork and a couple of emails.

Once I got in the kitchen, here's what I made:
Moroccan meatballs - same as last week from the Well Fed cookbook
Mashed Garlic Cauliflower - same as last week!
Roasted vegetables - same as last week!
Chez Panisse Braised Cabbage - same as last week!
Butternut Squash Casserole - NEW! From my Well Fed cookbook.
Kale Chips - NEW! From Nom Nom Paleo but I can't find kale in France so I just used curly green cabbage. I worked out great!
Apple Chips - NEW! From this website that I found via Just Eat Real Food on Facebook.

Ok, so I know that there were a lot of repeats, but I enjoyed last week so much that I thought I'd give it another go. Plus, I think it's good to get familiar with recipes so that they get under your skin, so to speak, and then you can build up your repertoire bit by bit. The meatballs were made with different meat this week. When we were at the market yesterday buying our local eggs, I saw that the vendor had some ground poultry sausage meat. I asked him what was added to it and he said just salt, pepper and parsley. Since he's a local producer and grower, I figured this must be quality stuff. And it was!

lunch
Lunch was on the late side after I cooked all of the above (except the apple chips) and so we had a mixed plate, with all of what I made: meatballs, mashed cauliflower, roasted veg, cabbage and butternut casserole. Oh, and we had some kale chips as an appetizer! I mixed up a little berry compote with some coconut cream and threw a couple of pecan pieces on top and that was dessert. It is the weekend after all!

supper
After all that cooking, I had a little rest and then cleaned up a little. JM has been coming down with something over the last few days, so I thought a little bone broth with some onions might be a good idea. I heated up half the bone broth I made last week and had frozen, with two chopped onions. After that we had exactly what we had for lunch. I also had a mandarin orange and a couple of apple chips, but the supper was quite filling and I probably didn't need dessert!

Ok, I'm going to 'fess up here. When I first started the Whole30, I also wanted to organize my exercise at the same time. Since the end of the first week, my exercise has totally been non-existant but I know that I can bring it back in, with time. It feels good to be getting my cooking and eating established and I'm looking forward to exercising to complete the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment