Sunday 20 January 2013

Whole30 day 17

Sunday, blissful cooking day, Sunday!

breakfast
1/2 sweet potato hash
2 fried eggs
some coconut cream with the berry compote I made yesterday. Mmmm, that was good.
tea
(in my defence, the sweet potato in question needed to be used because it had some squishy rotting parts, so I cut those off and used up the rest)

I dealt with paperwork, did the ironing, changed the sheets and vacuumed our second floor in the morning and then I got ready to cook. I started out by making a curry with the pork that I bought yesterday. It was the Rogan Josh recipe from the Well Fed recipe book, but I made it with pork instead of the lamb that it called for. I let that simmer while I made a few other things:
- braised cabbage (like last week, but with green and red cabbage mixed together)
- Nom Nom Paleo's pineapple salsa

And then I got hungry and made lunch.

lunch
veggie mango smoked salmon sushi (no rice, of course)
This recipe also came from the Well Fed cookbook and I added a little black radish, some homemade mayo and some toasted sesame seeds to mix it up a little. They didn't come out as pretty as in the photo in the book, but they were tasty.

I then continued on my cooking spree and did what Well Fed suggested doing: Prepping veggies and meat for the week. That way when you get home, but don't know what to have/make, you just pull out the already partially cooked veggies, throw in the cooked meat, add whatever spices are calling your name, heat it all up and eat up. I made some ground beef with onion and garlic as well as some broccoli. All you do for the veg is wash and stir fry/steam them in the water that's remains on the veg after the washing. All that said and done, I think I made quite a bit of food for leftovers this week, so I don't suspect that we will be scratching our heads too much on what to have.

supper
The pork Rogan Josh of course, along with some spinach that I sauteed and the braised cabbage. We also used the pineapple salsa for contrast and had a mixed green salad. I did have dessert... fried apples with coconut cream, a few pecan pieces and a couple of raisins/cranberries.

All in all, a good weekend with lots of good food and a feeling of being prepared and in control for the week to come. I like that feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment